World Environment Day is celebrated every year on 5 June. This United Nations initiative seeks to promote global awareness and action in favor of the environment.
World Environment Day was established in 1972. The UN General Assembly, during the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment in Stockholm, Sweden, decreed this day. Its intention was to raise awareness about climate change and the importance of environmental protection.
From that moment on, World Environment Day became a very important day. It has become a platform to generate positive changes in relation to the environment.
Topics addressed during World Environment Day
The slogan and theme of World Environment Day varies each year. This theme is chosen annually to highlight a particular environmental concern that requires global attention.
The celebration of World Environment Day gives us the opportunity to generate the necessary reflection for change. This day we can participate in activities and projects that promote the protection of the environment.
Topics, activities, and events during this day
Over the years, topics such as:
- Air pollution.
- Loss of biodiversity.
- Climate change.
- Waste and waste management.
- Sustainable development.
- Water conservation.
During World Environment Day, activities and events are carried out such as:
- Beach cleaning campaigns
- Tree planting days
- Conferences and workshops to raise awareness about the state of the environment.
- Marches, protests and various community initiatives.
During this day we seek to promote environmental education and sensitize people to take care of our environment.
Today we will talk in detail about Environment Day and its importance.
Environment Day 2023 – #BeatPlasticPollution
The annual themes of Environment Day focus on specific problems. This seeks to emphasize a critical problem of today. In this way, concrete actions can be emphasized regarding this problem and progress can be made in this regard.
This methodology allows us to progressively raise awareness of environmental threats. But it also gives concrete context to these threats.
2023 has become the perfect opportunity to put on the table one of the most controversial issues regarding the environment, plastic pollution. Additionally, it is a very important celebration because it also celebrates the 50th anniversary of Environment Day. This makes the celebration have a double intention, to reinforce this year’s theme and evaluate the progress during these 50 years.
This year the host country of World Environment Day 2023 is Côte d’Ivoire. The selection of the theme of World Environment Day and the host country is not accidental.
Biétry Bay no longer harbors life. Plastic pollution wiped out fish and fishing activity in the region, also affecting the economy.
The bay is in Abidjan, a city of more than 6 million inhabitants. Abidjan produces more than 290 thousand tons of plastic waste.
Since 2014 Côte d’Ivoire has waged a battle against plastic waste. Their first action was to ban the use of disposable plastic bags. At the same time, Côte d’Ivoire began to stimulate the adoption and use of sustainable and reusable packaging.
Côte d’Ivoire represents an example of the dangers and fight against plastic waste in the world.
The role of governments during World Environment Day
World Environment Day is also an occasion for governments, NGOs (non-governmental organizations), businesses and individuals to reflect on their actions and look for ways to reduce their environmental impact.
During this day, people are encouraged to take concrete steps such as:
- Save energy.
- Use sustainable means of transport.
- Reduce water consumption.
- Adopt more responsible living practices.
In this type of campaign, all social actors have an important role, but the fundamental role is played by governments.
The role of citizens with respect to the environment.
People can take an active role during World Environment Day. This means taking concrete measures to protect and conserve the environment. Here are some ideas:
- Get educated: Take the opportunity to learn more about current environmental issues. Some of the current problems are climate change, biodiversity loss, pollution and other challenges. Learn how they can affect you and how you can help mitigate them.
- Promote awareness: Share information and raise awareness about environmental challenges in your environment using social media. You can also organize community events to inform about the importance of caring for the environment.
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle: Practice waste reduction in your daily life. Reject the use of disposable products. Recycle as much as possible. Adopt sustainable consumption practices.
- Save energy: Look for ways to reduce your energy consumption at home and at work. Use energy-saving light bulbs, turn off appliances and lights when you don’t need them. It is also good to consider the use of renewable energy sources.
- Conserve water: Repair leaks, take shorter showers and collect rainwater for non-potable uses. Become aware of the sustainable use of water.
- Sustainable travel: Try to get around in more sustainable means of transport, such as walking, cycling or public transport.
- Participate in community activities: Join local environmental activities and projects during World Environment Day. It participates in cleaning activities, reforestation, educational workshops and among others. It promotes sustainability and respect for nature.
World Environment Day is an opportunity to promote change and raise awareness.
World Environment Day, a propitious moment to initiate change.
World Environment Day is an important date on which environmental awareness is promoted. Through this celebration, collective action is stimulated to protect and preserve our planet.
We can also become aware of our daily actions and commit to making positive changes for the benefit of the environment. Every small step is a grain of sand to the protection of the environment.
Each of us can make a small difference when it comes to taking care of our planet. Together we can truly make the change our planet needs.
It is an opportunity to remember that we all have a role to play in building a sustainable and environmentally friendly future.
La entrada World Environment Day 2023, #BeatPlasticPollution on June 5th se publicó primero en Gustavo Mirabal Castro.